TypeArt’05: The winners
The judging of TypeArt’05, an international Cyrillic type design competition, sponsored by ParaType took place in Moscow on Fryday, 18th March 2005.
The contest was judged by Nikolay Dubina, of ProDTP; Yuri Gordon, of LetterHead; Dmitry Kirsanov, of Moscow State University of Printing Arts; Tagir Safayev, of Higher Academic School of Graphic Design; and Vladimir Yefimov, of ParaType. The jury was chaired by Vladimir Yefimov.
Ninety two designers from nine countries—Armenia, Bulgaria, Canada, Germany, Great Britain, Russia, Serbia and Montenegro, Ukraine, United States—took part in the competition; one hundred seventy four entries competed in five design categories: Text, Display, Text/Display Type Systems, Type Superfamilies, and Pi
Fonts typefaces. Twenty four winning entries have been adjudged Awards of Excellence in Type Design.
Fourteen Cyrillic text typefaces (forty four styles) were submitted by thirteen designers. Prizes have been awarded to:
- Helvetica Linotype by John Hudson (Canada)
- Corbel by Jeremy Tankard (England)
- Calibri by Luc(as) de Groot (Germany)
- TheAntiqua by Luc(as) de Groot (Germany)
One hundred twenty one Cyrillic display typefaces (one hundred eighty four styles) were submitted by sixty nine designers. Prizes have been awarded to:
- Daiga by Ekaterina Maslova (Russia)
- EZZ by Anastasia Davydchik (Russia)
- Fourty-Nine Face by Aleksandra Korolkova (Russia)
- Polie by Vuga Radulović (Serbia and Montenegro)
- UniOpt by Viktor Kharik (Ukraine/Germany)
- P22 Operina by James Grieshaber (USA)
- Jedrilica by Ivana Dakić (Serbia and Montenegro)
- SPQR Caps by Sergei Egorov (USA)
- Tikhy Chas by Elena Kolesnikova (Russia)
- Kamysh by Tatyana Malakhova (Russia)
- DR Galushki by Dmitry Rastvortsev (Ukraine)
- Parangon Poluustav by Anatoly Kudryavtsev (Russia)
- Parangon Ustav by Anatoly Kudryavtsev (Russia)
- Multicross Cyr by Dmitry Greshnev (Russia)
- Sobor_Vyaz’ by Ivan Sharenkov (Russia)
Eighteen Cyrillic text/display type systems (forty styles) were submitted by eleven designers. Prizes have been awarded to:
- Ñandara by Gary Munch (USA)
- Bucentoro by Sergei Egorov (USA)
Two Cyrillic type superfamilies (fifty seven styles) were submitted by two designers, but the jury have decided not award any entry at this category.
Twenty Cyrillic pi-fonts (twenty six styles) were submitted by fourteen designers. Prizes have been awarded to:
- Vykhod est’ by Kirill Sirotin (Russia)
- Blooming Meadow by Viktor Kharik (Ukraine/Germany)
- Astra by Andrey Belonogov (Russia)
Selected entries will be shown at the Awards Exhibition in Moscow that will take place in Moscow's Central Artist's Hall during 11th Specialized Exhibition of Advertising ‘Dizayn i Reklama’ (Design and Advertising) from 5 to 9 April 2005.
The awards ceremony will take place in Moscow's Central Artist's Hall during 11th Specialized Exhibition of Advertising ‘Dizayn i Reklama’. The proper date of the awards ceremony will be announced later on the official contest Web-site www.typeart.ru
Our congratulations to the winners!
The Organizing Committee of TypeArt’05